On April 21, 2002 02:37 am, Zoki wrote:
> At 13:20 19/04/02 +0800, you wrote:
>
> I have seen people claiming that one could share the internet link that
> way.
>
>  internet
>  adsl/cable modem
>    hub -- workstations   EACH WORKSTATION WILL BROADCAST ITS MAC ADDRESS!
>     |____ server

Unless you are allowed to have that many MAC addresses you will have problems.
In most cases you are allowed two MAC addresses, if that is all that you
intend to run, then fine. Otherwise as each workstation comes on line, the
adsl/cable modem will see this. Even if this were not a problem, you would be
leaving your entire intranet exposed to the internet, not wise! Since you
will be running a server anyway why would you not route everything through
it?

adsl/cable modem-

                  server/firewall

                       hub