On Sat, 27 Apr 2002 11:37:09 -0600 Glenn Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi, Group:
>
> Last week someone said (Kurt Wall?) he prefers XFS over ext3, reiserfs
> and possibly others.  But I didn't see any reasons given for the
> preference.
>
> I can (and will) read some info about XFS on the Internet, but I am more
> interested in hearing reasons for that choice from group memebers.

My personal experience with XFS has been quite good. The only hold back is
the fact that the kernel portion of it is applied as a patch. If your
favorite kernel version doesn't have an available XFS patch, then you're
out in the cold unless you cobble your own. Yeah right...

For that one, single reason, we've chosen to use EXT3 on the
commercial/business laptops where I work. It was chosen as an interim
measure until XFS is directly supported in the kernel like the other file
systems it has now. EXT3has proven to be quite stable, reliable and very
easy to implement. EXT3 has performance issues when used in an NFS
environment, but SAMBA has fixed that. :')

Cheers.