On Sun, 28 Apr 2002 16:13:58 -0400
Jerry McBride <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Apr 2002 02:22:48 -0500 "Richard R. Sivernell"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Collins
> >
> >   I have an older laptop coming, a compac. It has a 1 gig hd and can
> >   have 40 meg memory. At this time I have no cdrom on the machine, my
> >   son is sending it. & the cdrom with pcmia that I do have does not
> >   support linux, on braindead stuff. My question is, with these
> >   requirements can I still install gento on it. I am going to get a
> >   larger hard disk 4-10 gig. I will run X and xfce on it. would like
> >   just enough kde3 to run kdevelop & java development. The lan nic
> >   10/100 pcmia is ok but I may not have the tcpip stuff on the machine.
> >   Now the machine may turn out to be a big waste of time too, just do
> >   not know at this time. It is inroute now.
> >

> What model Compaq?
>
> As for unsupported pcmcia IDE cdroms... the only hitch I've come across is
> some of the older units not being able to read cdr or cdrw.
>
> As for running kde3 or portions there-of on 40meg... good luck. :')
>
> --

Collins

   I think, & as usual I could & most probably am wrong,  compac 722 728 or something.
It has PI 133 cpu. If I can get linux on it and xfce with staroffice & internet, that
would
be soe thing better for now. Hope to get better machine here next month.

cheers

--
Rick Sivernell
Dallas, Texas  75287