On Mon, 27 May 2002 20:22:30 +0000
Bob Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> That friend of mine with the laptop battery troubles has a nice, fast
> SuSE 8.0 with XFS.  I haven't tested battery yet, but the thing isn't
> swapping to the HD all the time, even though I went overboard and gave
> him 600 mb of swap.  Now, he wants to replace his now dead digital video
> camera with something in the $300-$500 range, that works in Linux, and
> is firewire, and is of good quality.  I'm giving up Googling.  I spent
> about two hours on there and got plenty of links about webcams, but he
> doesn't want a webcam.  Any suggestions on what to get?

Digital camera or digital video? They are not the same. The latter has tape
and the former does not. And, just to be nice, they have a different
protocol... And stick to OHCI cards as driver support is far more active
than for pcilynx-type cards. This is especially true when using
isosynchronous mode and DMA.

We use UniBrain firewire cards and Sony DFW-SX900 digital cameras with
Linux. Be warned that that they do not work well with Caldera 3.1 as
the kernel used had a bad firewire release. The kernel in 3.1.1, however,
works as expected. (There is a patch for this available from the 1394
site listed later in this message, but getting the Caldera 3.1 kernel to
recompile was not obvious as there were mistakes in the Caldera rpms that
required far too much fiddling to sort out. There is a doc from Caldera
about how to do this, it you need it.)

If your question is about digital video tape cameras, then I can say
nothing. Except that the advice about the firewire card and kernel
release are also relevant.

Have you checked out http://linux1394.sourceforge.net/hcl.php for
information on supported hardware?

--
| Roger Oberholtzer          |   E-mail:        [EMAIL PROTECTED] |