An additional note on Sherman.  He is attributed to the quote, "War is
hell", which he seemed to understand better than anyone else during the
war.  There are many scholarly essays which assert that Sherman was the
first military leader in modern history who truly understand that in order
to win a war, you must defeat not only the opposing military forces, but
also the spirit of the civilians.  Creating a swatch of destruction across
Georgia certainly drove that point home.