On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 16:06:22 -0500 (EST) Net Llama! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> wrote:
> > I'm considering getting SCSI drives at some
> point.  My father's getting a new
> > computer at work, and might be able to talk
> the tech guys into letting him
> > take the Adaptec 2930 card out of his current
> system.  Would that be a good
> > solution until I got SCSI hard disks?
>
> Yea, that's well suited for a tape drive, or
> any other device that has
> slow IO.  But don't plan to use it for
> harddrives, or the performance will
> suck (something like 20mb/s).

I wasn't planning on it for hard disks - I would buy a fancy controller if I
needed hard disks.  But I don't know that I need any more at this point.

> > > Well, i kinda suspect your kernel is horked
> if
> > > the partition table is
> > > getting hosed every time you boot off of
> it.
> > > Do you have a 2.4.x kernel
> > > that you could boot the drive off of?
> >
> > Unfortunately, no.  When I got the new
> motherboard, I tried 2.4.19-xfs, and it
> > never picked up the existence of my Highpoint
> 374, so I switched to 2.5
> > kernels.  For some reason 2.4.19-gentoo-r7
> works fine (the one on the rescue
> > CD), but that's actually a patched 2.4.18
> kernel, and I'm not in the mood to
> > tie up the internet for 3 hours downloading
> the 2.4.18 sources.  This kernel
>
> 3 hours for a good kernel, or how many hours
> rebuilding?  Can't you just
> copy the kernel onto the HD, and boot off it
> natively?

It would be possible if I could find the kernel image for 2.4.19-gentoo-r7.
It's just the download Gentoo 1.1a install CD, and I can't locate a kernel
image on it.  I don't mind tying up the phone line, but my parents mind when
they can't get on the net on their computers, and I'd rather not have any
yelling tonight.  Maybe I could patch my 2.5.45 tree (I never built it) up to
2.5.47-ac2?  Certainly a smaller download...

> > used to work quite wonderfully before.  Could
> I have corrupted the image
> > somehow?  Is it time to replace the IBM
> Deathstar 60GXP 20GB I use as a boot
> > drive?
>
> THe kernel image?  If the kernel image was
> corrupted, the system wouldn't
> boot, period.  It sounds like your partition
> table is getting hosed.
> Whoa, you have an IBM drive?  You realize what
> a horrible track record
> those things have, right? Maybe your drive is
> bad afterall.

That's just the boot disk tho.  My normal Linux disk is a Maxtor 96147H6, and
I've been using a different 96147H6 (the one I zapped a few weeks ago) since
December 2000, and this one was made in December 2000, and I got it off Ebay,
and it certainly seemed to be working up until yesterday.

                 thanks

                 Bob Raymond