On Thursday 14 November 2002 13:05 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 12:14:13 -0500 (EST) Net Llama!
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > wrote:
> > > I didn't mean that- I'm sure I can figure out
> >
> > pluggin a card into the PCI slot
> >
> > > and adding drives.  It's more I don't know
> >
> > what controllers are good, etc.
> >
> > Adaptec makes good SCSI controllers.  Symbios
> > are not bad either.  Not
> > sure about any of the others.
>
> Will check.  Is the Adaptec 29160N good? I found it for $134, which
> seems reasonable.

the 29160 is good but its waaaay   overkill for just a tape drive.  A
tape drive wouldn't even make it breath hard.

What you probably want is the Adaptec  2906  for about $50 new.

> > I don't know anything about Seagate tape drives
> > (they might be good, they
> > might be bad).  SONY are pretty good.
>
> Maybe the SDT-9000?  It seems to have 12G/24G, which should be plenty
> big enough, and costs $359 at componentsdirect.com

I have a Sony 5000 (DDS2) and a Sony 9000.  Never had a lick of problems
over the past 6 years or so.

> > > Should I trust the Bootit NG partition table
> >
> > readout?  I find it kind of odd
> >
> > > that Bootit has a partition table for the
> >
> > drive, as does WindeXP, but Linux
> >
> > > doesn't.

Why don't you download the Acronis demo and see what it sees (even if it
won't fix it for free)?