[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
<snip>
Actually, my main reason for not liking CD-R's is the amount of data I'm
working with.  Sometimes I get 500-600mb wave files, and I end up using an
inordinate number of CDR's on a single recording project.  Once I get them
edited up they're smaller, but I don't always get the chance to do that.  It's
looking like tape drive, or what about DVD burners?  4.7GB seems like a good
size, and I wouldn't mind making movies in the future ;-)
I'll chime in because I'm a pretty strong proponent of tape backups first and foremost. Disk to disk backup is good unless you only want to have one current copy, or have 7 times your current disk space for a weeks worth of backups. It's pretty difficult to recover a custom file from a week ago, or yesterday if it's been overwritten. Buy a good HP DAT drive (DDS3, 12/24gb or DDS4 20/40gb if you can afford it) or get a DDS2 drive and split your full backups across multiple tapes. Use xfsdump to back up, and xfsrestore to recover from. It's capable of backing up extended file attributes, and xfsrestore will put it back to the exact inode it was backed up from. Tapes are cheap. Your time and effort isn't.
Backup, backup, backup! It's that important.
--
Andrew Mathews