On Saturday 28 December 2002 12:39 pm, Brett I. Holcomb wrote:
> Just out of curiosity what experiences have you had with Asus?  I've
> used them for several years with no problems but that has been on
> Windows (and a Caldera) system so Windows probably masked any problems
> <G> - I'm open to feedback!

Here's my story....  of the past two months or so.

1) Ordered a computer built by Aberdeen Inc. using an ASUS A7V333 board
and an AMD XP 1.73Ghz cpu.  Worked fine.

2) Ordered an A7V333 board and same CPU as above to replace in a
different computer.  Swapped boards and was greated with 'System fails
memory test' followed (once I got that fixed by reseating boards)
'system fails CPU test'.  Nothing would fix that.

3) Sent the board back and got a replacement.. no info as to what the
problem was.  Swapped boards again...  same problems.

4) In the meantime, ordered a computer built the same as in (1) and on
receipt, it had the same 'system fails CPU test'.  Sent it back.

5) Sent the board back from (3) and they said the board was fine, told
them to build a complete computer around it (putting the onus on
Aberdeen to make it work).

6) Received the computer from (4) back and it now works fine.

7) Received the complete rebuild of (5) and it was totally flakey.
Played with it for a week but could not do an install of anything
without getting errors, stoppages, strange blowups...  worthless.

8) Sent computer (7) back and again they said it tested fine.  I don't
doubt that because you'd have to do an install or something strenuous to
get it to fail.  Told them I was sick of ASUS boards and to rebuild it
with a Pentium 4 and an Abit board.  Abit has discontinued the board I
picked so when and if I ever get it back, it will have an Intel board.

But no more ASUS for me... although I have two of the boards working.
But it's been a big battle and if they break now, they're going in the
trash.