> I don't feel mislead either.   As one Iraqi soldier put it:  "we fear
> Saddam far more than we fear you (U.S.)"

Machiavelli (sp?) wrote about this in The Prince. He posed the question:
Is it better for a prince to be loved or feared?  He explored the question
from various aspects, but decided fear was better than love. He explained
(I paraphrase it from memory):

     In times of crisis, men will more readily insult those whom
     they merely love rather then those they fear.

The behavior of many nations and many people is easily understood. We
Americans know we are the target of Islamic terrorists, since 9/11 is
proof of that. I recall well the joy in the Arab street after the death
of 3000 people in the USA. So, we have no choice and nothing to lose by
pushing ahead against these terrorists and their supporters. Truly, it
is us or them.  Many of our friends are trying to keep off the Islamic
terrorist hit list. Fat chance. All Infidels are legitimate targets of
violent Islamics. As the USA becomes increasingly dangerous to attack,
it is quite possible the terrorists will switch to softer targets. To
quote another great writer and politician, W. Churchill:

     They had to choose between dishonor and war. They chose
     dishonor, and they shall have war.

Joel