Ben Duncan wrote:

> <LOL> ..
>
> Taught a 5 day class last week at a New Horizons learning Center, on
Linux.
> Basically threw the book they supplied out, (HEY, When vi is at the end
and they
> cover changing default values, you know you have to do something!!).
>
> One of the things I covered, was the init procedures and how to the
System boots
> up and shuts down.
>
> Now, I was using Mandrake 9.1 (And not wanting to start a religion war
here - but
> suffice it to, I will never use it again!!) and one of the students
caught my
> fax-paus
> on run levels. Further investigations showed, that ALL the scripts for
all things
> needed to be started are in a ALL of the runlevel rc<dot>d files.
>
> Now, came across several interesting articles on inittab (One of them
was yours
> Mr. Bandel - and the picture at the bottom shows I do have a twin
somewhere in this
> world) and all of them show the following standard :
>
> l0:0:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 0
> l1:1:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 1
> l2:2:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 2
> l3:3:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 3
> l5:5:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 5
> l6:6:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 6
>
> Anyway, I was perplexed, as I was USED to having something (From the
> olden days)  where the scripts specific for both the S and the K
functions
> for that particular runlevel were contained in the runlevel specific
directory,
> and were passed thru on the way UP or DOWN to a specific run level.
> The RC scripts were generally NOT repeated in any of the other runlevels.
>
> NOW have I gone nuts, was not paying attention in MY class, or simply
> am stupider than a box on this ?
>
> And for the NEXT question, are there ANY recommendations on what a
> GOOD Distro for using to teach the NEXT class with ?
>
> Thanks ...

If I understand your question, you're asking if the processing of run
levels is a fall-thru process. That is, to boot to runlevel 3, you first
execute the startup scripts in the rc1.d, rc2.d before executing the
startup scripts in rc3.d. If so, then I believe you are mistaken. It is my
understanding that to switch to runlevel 3, the system executes only the
startup or kill scripts in rc3.d (or, which ever run level you are
switching too). Also, as Net Llama just said, all of the directory entries
are symlinks to back to the init.d directory.

Also, for what it's worth, after Caldera self-destructed, I decided to
migrate to Debian. For an educational environment you might also what to
take a look at Linux from Scratch.

Cheers!

cmr
--