Precisely, But I cut my teeth on 3B2, then the Motorola 3000 series back in
the Mid 19080's, and, I think they executed the init scripts in
order via the inittab with something like:

l2:2356:wait:/etc/rc1 l3:356:wait:/etc/rc2

Or to something of that effect ...

C M Reinehr wrote:
Ben Duncan wrote:
SNIP<
If I understand your question, you're asking if the processing of run levels is a fall-thru process. That is, to boot to runlevel 3, you first execute the startup scripts in the rc1.d, rc2.d before executing the startup scripts in rc3.d. If so, then I believe you are mistaken. It is my understanding that to switch to runlevel 3, the system executes only the startup or kill scripts in rc3.d (or, which ever run level you are switching too). Also, as Net Llama just said, all of the directory entries are symlinks to back to the init.d directory.

Also, for what it's worth, after Caldera self-destructed, I decided to migrate to Debian. For an educational environment you might also what to take a look at Linux from Scratch.

Cheers!

cmr

--
Ben Duncan   Phone (601)-355-2574     Fax (601)-355-2573   Cell (601)-946-1220
                        Business Network Solutions