On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 11:00:35 -0400 (EDT)
Net Llama! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Matthew Carpenter wrote:
> > I'm not quite sure I follow the logic in the last sentence.  But I would
> > tell
>
> How so?

How was that how UnitedLinux all got started?

> > Michael to learn SuSE.  It's a breath of fresh air over RH and MDK.  It
> > pleases even an old COL-er
>
> That's not been my experience.  My use of SuSE has been nothing but
> frustration.  It looks like they hacked up the distro just enough to make
> it different & confusing.  But, have fun if you like it.
Prior to 8.x I'd have agreed with you.  I got so frustrated with 6.0 and then
7.1, when I was handed a copy of SuSE 8.0 to try it found its way on to my
bookshelf, right next to OS/2.  Really, it wasn't until a graphic designer
friend asked for some distros to try and I handed him SuSE8.0, MDK8.1, RH7.1,
and COL3.1.1 that I even thought about trying it.  I thought just like you:
They screwed everything up and it's just one more way of doing things to
learn.  My friend's response was incredible glee.  He was so impressed with
8.0 he went out and bought 8.1 within a week.  He loaned 8.1 to me to try, and
I was so impressed that I bought 8.2, which I like even better.  Part of it
was that UL, COL's successor, was basically SuSE.  I figured that if I wanted
to stick with the Caldera family, I might as well give SuSE another shot.  I
ended up in the Beta program for UL, which got me to recognize that while they
have done things differently, they have incorporated a lot of "Caldera" ways
of laying things out.  Even better, Like Caldera, they focus on KDE, which I'm
partial to.  And unlike any other distro, they package an absolutely huge
amount of software RPMs which helps avoid the "where do I get it" and "how to
I get RPMs" questions.

What's more, unlike SCO, SuSE has added quite a bit of Value to Linux.  And
they've toned down their Yast tool to NOT kill all your manually edited config
files.

--
Matthew Carpenter
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                          http://www.eisgr.com/

Enterprise Information Systems
*Network Service Appliances
*Network Consulting, Integration & Support
*Web Development and E-Business