At some undetermined time...NetLlama wrote:-

>On 07/20/03 18:34, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> I run Caldera e2.4. The kernel does not provide USB support for
>> my scanner. I downloaded kernel 2.2.18 which does support USB,
>> compiled it, installed it, then rebooted. Everything appeared to
>> run normally but I could not connect to the scanner. I checked
>> the boot-up errors and found,"......./usb-uhci.o:couldn't find
>> the kernel version the module was compiled for." Just to make
>> sure I deleted the entire linux2.2.18 source directory, untarred
>> the source files again, re-configured, re-compiled, and
>> re-installed. I checked that the file date on usb-uhci.o had
>> changed and re-booted. I got the same error message.
>>
>> Can someone explain why, and how to get around the problem?

>USB support in 2.2.x kernels is not all that great.  Use 2.4.21.

Since I'm in Mexico with a slow connection I hesitate to download a 33Meg file
only to find out that I need a new GCC etc...Making such a long jump (2.2.14
to 2.4.21) seems like a little over-kill to a Linux Luddite like me. Perhaps
if I knew that all the Caldera e2.4 software would run without modification or
complex links on a 2.4.21 kernel I might be more inclined to fiddling with it.
Has anyone done that?

Thanks.