Ted Ozolins wrote:

Collins Richey wrote:

The one thing we Americans and Canadians have in common, besides the language, is the best politicians money can buy. They all suck.

I just learned that the reason that we (here in B. C.) are short of manpower to address these fires is that a Workers Compaensation ruling requires that anyone fighting a forest fire must possess cirtification by the Forestry. <snip>

Not so sure that is as bad as you think. Back in my youth I used to fall timber on fires. Big trees like you have. Back then they would hire a guy that went out and buy a saw for the big bucks. If he didn't kill himself he could do it to a couple others, also. I'm not defending all of their rules or procedures. I have a kid (43 year old kid) who's on one of the special overhead teams for the USFS/BLM/??, the trouble with those teams as I see it is they move in on the locals that know the lay of the land and take over. In '87 they really botched about a quarter million burn around Happy Camp. Some jerk from Arizona tried to light a big back-burn 10 muiles long at the bank of the Klamath River 3 or 4 ridges away from the fire! Fortunatley it was so smokey and cold it wouldn't take. Oh well I'd better quit. I get real radical.
Bob