Keith Morse wrote:
On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Michael Hipp wrote:

I just did a clean install of RH9 on a server that was running RH8, everything is working great except that ipop3d won't authenticate any users. Just says "Bad authentication". This was working fine on RH8 and I don't remember putting any real effort into getting it working.

Log says stuff like: Autologout user=??? host=[192.168.0.xxx]

Does it use some different authentication mechanism? Is there even a config file for ipop3d?

WAG here. Take a look at /etc/xinetd.d/ipop3 and/or /etc/hosts.allow.

Thanks. The xinetd.d/ipop3 file is clean and exactly the same as the one that worked in RH8. The hosts.allow is empty meaning, I assume, allow everyone.

And I can telnet into port 110 and enter USER and PASS so it's not a basic network connectivity issue. It just says "Bad authentication" to every combo of user/pass I enter.

Still looking for ideas ...

Michael