>On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, Michael Hipp wrote:
> > WAG here.  Take a look at /etc/xinetd.d/ipop3 and/or /etc/hosts.allow.
>
> Thanks. The xinetd.d/ipop3 file is clean and exactly the same as the one
> that worked in RH8. The hosts.allow is empty meaning, I assume, allow
> everyone.
>
> And I can telnet into port 110 and enter USER and PASS so it's not a
> basic network connectivity issue. It just says "Bad authentication" to
> every combo of user/pass I enter.
>
> Still looking for ideas ...

I suggest you look in your /var/log files to see if there's a clue there.
One thing that's fairly easy to do with courier-imap is to run the wrong
authentication daemon (e.g. ldap instead of plain or mysql).  If you're
running most Linux systems with pam, you need to make sure that the
appropriate pam.d/ file is correct (should look a lot like the normal
pam.d/login file).  In particular, if you're using pam_ldap and ldap
authentication, make sure that this is specified.

Bill

``No matter how much I may exaggerate it, it must have a certain amount of
truth...Now rumor travels fast but it don't stay put as long as truth''
    Will Rogers