On Fri October 3 2003 11:05 pm, Tom Wilson wrote:
> Hi all
>
> My wife and I have an e-mail address that we share for general
> corresponce with friends and family.   She is getting tired of having
> to have me login under my username so she can see any e-mail that she
> gets that I happened to download.
>
> Any recommendations on a method so we can share the inbox for our shared
> e-mail account?
>
> I looked at Kmail filtering a copy of every message downloaded into her
> $HOME/Mail/inbox file but there is only a move to option not a copy to.
>
> I also though that copying the inbox from my $HOME/Mail directory over
> to hers via a nightly cron job would work but then there is the problem
> of her not wanting to keep certain e-mails that I would and vice versa
> and her inbox being overwritten.  Plus permission problems, etc.
>
> I don't know procmail but did a little research on it and it seems to be
> overkill for this minor task.  Although I'd like to learn to use it for
> spam filtering.  But I don't have sendmail running on the desktop
> machine.  And the recieving of pop mail is done via Kmail.  Not
> q-popper or fetchmail or any such thing.
>
> Any advice, tips, pointers, or ideas on how to get this working?

Create the account on both users Kmail, but set it to leave messages on the
server.  Then both will get copies.  Every now and then (or when you get a
warning from your server telling you are reaching your limit) set one of
them to delete the messages on the server, check the mail once or twice,
and set it back to leave messages on server.  This will clear the server.

Hope that helps.

Harry G