On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 10:59:03AM -0400, Douglas J. Hunley wrote:
>I finally landed a new job and have been really busy this week. I just got
>caught up (kinda) and am at a loss about the ORBS thing. My current
>sendmail.cf uses blackholes.mail-abuse.org for it's DNS spam blocking. Should
>I swith that to or.orbl.org? What have you guys done about it?
>Please don't chime in w/ "you shouldn't do that. it censorship" or any of
>that other crap. If that's what you want to talk about, go to /.
>I have sites to run and policies to follow. Thanks

ORBS is semi-dead, and the people running the old DNS servers don't appear
to be too happy about the number of queries.  I just saw a note on an ISP
list that they've got one server returning positive for any IP address
queried.

We haven't used ORBS for several years because I consider their testing of
sites that haven't sent spam to be a form of network abuse, similar to port
scanning.

MAPS is going away from their free service to a pay since they've got huge
expenses (mostly legal bills), and the individuals who've been financing
this out of their own pockets aren't going to continue.  I gather that they
will still give free service to individuals and hobby type users.

Bill

``Good luck to all you optimists out there who think Microsoft can deliver
35 million lines of quality code on which you can operate your business.''
   -- John C. Dvorak