On Wed, 18 Jul 2001 20:16:20 -0700, Bill Campbell wrote:

>It would probably be better to have a separate ext2 /boot partition if one
>wants to boot different versions of Linux off the same /boot partition.  We
>do this to avoid any potential 1024 segment problems, sharing /boot amongst
>multiple Linux versions.

This brings up a side point for me.  I just spent several days trying
to get Grub back working on my main Linux box.  I had delete 2 unused
partitions (extended logical drives) and this changed the /dev point
for my root drive.  I did have a primary partition, 30M, that was
mounted as /boot (when the system worked, before my little escapade).
My / part went from /dev/sda8 to sda6, this frelled up the whole thing
big time.  I was finally able to get Grub working again by copying all
the info from my old /boot part to a new directory on / called /boot.
the old part is no longer mounted.

My question is, How would one go about making a new /boot part and get
Grub to boot off it?  I tried to put Grub on the old /boot ( root was
(hd0,2) the kernel line was "kernel =  /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-modular
vga=274 quiet root=/dev/sda6"  The Kernel would start but it would
panic saying it couldn't mount the root file system.  I ended up with
/boot on the / part and Grub on the /dev/sda6 or /part.  I'd like to
get /boot back on /dev/sda3 but After all the trouble I am a bit
hesitant.  I have stage1 and 2 on /dev/sda6 for now, I am using power
boot to get there, I have DOS and Wincrap also on the drive.

What is the trick?

stayler