On Sunday 26 August 2001 08:36 am, Keith Antoine wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Aug 2001 22:20, Collins Richey orated thus:
> > I don't know whether this is your problem or not; the following
> > is required for using a reiserfs /boot with grub.  The /boot
> > partition should have been mounted with -o notail; if not, the
> > structure of the files and journal records are different, and
> > grub can't cope with that.  If this is the problem, copy your
> > /boot files somewhere else, umount the /boot partition, make
> > new reiserfs on the partition, moun /dev/hdx -o notail -t
> > reiserfs /mnt/xxx, copy back the /boot files you preserved.
>
> I also need to do this to /boot as I have ext2 on it and not
> reiserfs. Now I need something clarifying re the replacing of
> ext2 with reiserfs and what you wrote.
>
> The statement "mount /dev/hdx"; I am lost here as thats the whole
> HD and not the partition also its not mounted in /mnt/xxx its
> /dev/hda7 and /boot. So what is the required statement, for me to
> change /boot to reiserfs as all the rest are reiserfs. I have the
> /boot copied to /backup at present.
>
> What would happen if I umount /boot amd do a:
> mount -t reiserfs -o notail /dev/hda7 /boot ??

Yes, I meant something like /dev/hda7 as in your command, which
looks correct.  The point is, if your /boot partition is reiserfs
and if you ever mounted it without the -o notail option (including
via fstab entry) and created any files, grub will have problems
with it because the files are created with tailing (see a reiserfs
writeup for explanation).

This is getting way off topic for your current problem, which is
with Lilo.  You might post your lilo.conf file for others to
comment on.

---
Collins Richey
Denver Area