> On August 25, 2001 05:20 am, Collins Richey wrote:
> > On Sunday 26 August 2001 07:17 am, David Aikema wrote:
> > > I've tried installing slackware 8.0 using only reiserfs on a
> > > system here. When I try to bootup the system lilo freezes at LI
> > > (suggesting a corrupt kernel IIRC) though.  Do I need to preserve
> > > /boot as ext2 here or would it be some other sort of problem that
> > > I'm having?
> >
> > I don't know whether this is your problem or not; the following is
> > required for using a reiserfs /boot with grub.  The /boot partition
> > should have been mounted with -o notail; if not, the structure of
> > the files and journal records are different, and grub can't cope
> > with that.  If this is the problem, copy your /boot files somewhere
> > else, umount the /boot partition, make new reiserfs on the
> > partition, moun /dev/hdx -o notail -t reiserfs /mnt/xxx, copy back
> > the /boot files you preserved.

A boot freezing at LI indicates a "drive geometry error". Either you have
changed the hard drive configurations since you installed or last update
LILO, or there is something misconfigured in your hard drive and/or how your
system sees them.

I would check my bios setup to make sure that the drives are shown as LBA and
not AUTO (which most Linux instances seem not to like). I would also double
check to make sure that I have my partions set up correctly. I know that 1024
cylinders is not supposed to be a barrier anymore, but personally I still
like to keep my boot partition within that envelope. If partitioning appears
to be the problem, use a Linux boot floppy (e.g. Tom's Root Boot...
http://www.toms.net/rb/) and run fdisk to redo your partitions if
required.You will, of course, lose data on the drive and have to reinstall in
this scenario.

Whatever you do to fix this problem short of a reinstall, don't forget that
you will have to go into your system with a  boot disk and run the command
"lilo" (without quotes) as root in order to update your lilo.conf file so
that your system will recognize the changes and boot successfully.

I have found resiersfs to be problematic, generally, and especially for
/boot. Personally, I would only recommend it for data partitions. YMMV
--
burns