I have made a mess!
Following the kde list advice about compiling kde2.2, I got rid of my
old /opt/kde2 directory and made a clean one.   Then I compiled kdelibs,
kdebase and kdenetwork, although libs and base should have been enough
(I wanted to get on-line, too).  They compiled with no errors at all!
I was amazed!

Then I rebooted.  The log-in manager GUI thing (I don't know what it
is, maybe xdm-something) now presents me with a huge list of users (I
guess who cares) but "sessions" now has "kde; kde2; failsafe" all on
one line and won't let me start kde2.  I don't know what file has been
changed to mess this up.  I have read some various guides, how-tos,
SxS, etc about files like /etc/X11/kdm/Xsession, kdeinitrc, and the
list goes on and I'm clueless.

I can start X by forcing a log-in window by ctrl-alt-F2,
Then I can get to run level 3 with /sbin/teleinit 3
Then I can startx and get an xterm window
Then I can startkde
Kde2.2 comes up in an X-term window and seems to work fine (at least
that which I have installed).
I need to somehow make the GUI log-in manager thing work again.
My original distro is Caldera LTP which had kde and kde2 on it and
allowed me to start failsafe, kde or kde2.  It still did this when I
compiled on top of my old /opt/kde2 without clean-out, but after
clean-out, no more.  The GUI still looks right visually but it is
broken as above.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!!

--
Tony Alfrey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]