At 05:19 PM 9/10/2001 -0700, you wrote:

>I have made a mess!

Welcome to the crew :-)

>Following the kde list advice about compiling kde2.2, I got rid of my
>old /opt/kde2 directory and made a clean one.   Then I compiled kdelibs,
>kdebase and kdenetwork, although libs and base should have been enough
>(I wanted to get on-line, too).  They compiled with no errors at all!
>I was amazed!
>
>Then I rebooted.  The log-in manager GUI thing (I don't know what it
>is, maybe xdm-something)

It is probably kdm, though I'm not sure since I've not really used Caldera

>now presents me with a huge list of users (I
>guess who cares) but "sessions" now has "kde; kde2; failsafe" all on
>one line and won't let me start kde2.  I don't know what file has been
>changed to mess this up.

Presuming that it is indeed xdm, try rpm -ql kdebase. Those are the files most likely
to pertain to your situation. you can run  rpm -qf /opt/kde2/bin/kdm to make sure it's
kdebase in your case.
Likewise for xdm, if you find that to be what's being run.

This all presumes that you have any info left in your RPM database, which might not be
depending on how you removed your old KDE.

In any event, you may need to wipe those files out entirely and reinstall them.

Don't forget that strace is your friend too. You could, from runlevel 3, run strace -o
kdm.strace /opt/kde2/bin/kdm and then kill it, and grep through it for all the files
it happened to look in.

Have you recursively grepped through /etc and /usr for "failsafe" and/or "kde2" (kde
will probably give you a million hits).

Jonathan Wilson
System Administrator

Cedar Creek Software     http://www.cedarcreeksoftware.com