On Tuesday 25 September 2001 0:07 am, Mike Andrew wrote:
> On Saturday 22 September 2001 14:57, Douglas J. Hunley wrote:
> > On Friday 21 September 2001 21:34, Bruce Marshall babbled:
> > > Nope...  that's not the problem.   It is the way that SuSE has the list
> > > set up.  I'm using Kmail with several lists and SuSE is the only one
> > > with the problem.   Here's a statement from one of the S.O.B's over
> > > there that likes it that way:
> >
> > agreed. except that I'm on a couple of other lists the same damn way.
> > Mailman actualy defaults to "Reply to Sender' instead of 'Reply to list'
> > and they *highly recommend* (their emphasis) that it stay that way.
>
> This whole area is raises remarkable flames. For reasons that bored me
> senseless, it is 'politcally correcter' to reply to the person posting to a
> list rather than replying to the list. I could throw up a quoted RFC for
> you, but won't. I gave up trying to figure out how this twisted logic is so
> obvious to everyone but me, after a few miserable attempts at pleading for
> common sense on those lists that do this, I did the obvious and
> unsubscribed.

Yep, has to do with 'munging of the headers' or some rot like that which I
don't think applies since essentially the mail is being received and re-sent.

> Apparently the correct answer is you are supposed to hit the reply all
> button to lists that are 'politically correct'. However, since I consider
> private mail (of that sort) an intrusion on my privacy, I wasn't about to
> inflict reply all on anyone else. Sbort answer? Kmail is not to blame, it
> is doing what the header tells it to.

But two good solutions for kmail came out of this:

1) If you right click on the name of the list in the email (in Kmail) it will
give you a choice of what you want to do and who you want to do it to.  :o)
so you can choose to reply to the list.

2) Use a procmail recipe of:

:0f
| formail -bfi "Reply-To: SLE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>"

or whatever list you might want to diddle with.   Works like a charm.