On Thursday 25 October 2001 07:54 pm, you sent an epistle:

> Gee, they've almost caught up with what I've been enjoying on gentoo
> for months now. <grin>
>
> Just kidding, SuSE, Mandrake, etc. have superb installation packages
> and have much else to recommend themselves.

Well I am now very much pingged off with Mandrake 8.1 and cannot wait for
Suse. The reason being that I was unaware that Mandrake was still running
that %%^$^&&* gcc-2.96 of redhat fame. I was trying to compile some mpeg 3
multimedia downloads and Mplayer when it told me that it was not going to
compile against 2.96.................... So what I need is binaries for
either 2.95 or 3.0x, but some reports of 3 are not good either. I cannot find
any bins for this around has anyone seen them, can I use them off the Caldera
cd or whatever ??

To those who have been in harms way, to those that have made the
sacrifice in humanities name. At the going down of the sun and
in the morning I shall remember them.