Keith Antoine wrote:

> On Thursday 25 October 2001 07:54 pm, you sent an epistle:
>

>>Gee, they've almost caught up with what I've been enjoying on gentoo
>>for months now. <grin>
>>
>>Just kidding, SuSE, Mandrake, etc. have superb installation packages
>>and have much else to recommend themselves.
>>

> Well I am now very much pingged off with Mandrake 8.1 and cannot wait for
> Suse. The reason being that I was unaware that Mandrake was still running
> that %%^$^&&* gcc-2.96 of redhat fame. I was trying to compile some mpeg 3
> multimedia downloads and Mplayer when it told me that it was not going to
> compile against 2.96.................... So what I need is binaries for
> either 2.95 or 3.0x, but some reports of 3 are not good either. I cannot find
> any bins for this around has anyone seen them, can I use them off the Caldera
> cd or whatever ??

An interesting point of view on the "broken" 2.96 compiler of RedHat:
http://www.bero.org/gcc296.html

I have a RedHat server here at work with 2.96 installed and have yet to
really exercise it any, other than to update it to 2.96-85. It was used
to compile Samba 2.2.0 with no real issues. But I have no real
experience with it.

FWIW,
Tim