Vern W Heesch wrote:

>>[snip]

> Thanks David. Getting a little closer. I still have something wrong . I don't
> have a static ip though. My isp does use DHCP.
>
> I have been trying to modify the Lucent Wavelan IEEE section in wireless.opts
> Here is what iwconfig shows for eth1:
> IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:"linksys1"  Nickname:"sttl.qwest.net"
> Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412GHz  Sensitivity:1/3  Tx-Power=15 dBm
> Access Point:  00:04:5A:CC:44:9E

Looks like it sees your ISP's AP.

> Bit Rate=0kb/s  RTS thr:off  Fragment thr:off
> Power Management:off
> Link Quality:85/92   Signal level:-17 dBm   Noise level:-102 dBm

Nice strong signal here.  Should be no problem.  I only get signal link
quality
like this with an amp'd system.

> Rx  invalid nwid:0   invalid crypt:0   invalid misc:0
>
> Here is what I have the Access Point as:
> ESSID  =  linksys1
> Channel  =  1
> Access Point Name  =  myap1
> Fragmentation & RTS Thresholds  =  2346
> Authentication Type  =  both Open System and Shared key
> WEP key setting for Key 1 = 79 1B E8 47 0A 78 85 A6 D5 A7 C2 6D 17

And you set this key? should be just one long string.  Some of the above
I recognize
as letters (79=y, 78=x, 6D=m, that's all I remember off the top of my
head).
So they probably aren't using a name or the like.  You can set this like:
iwconfig eth1 key "791b-e847-0a78-85a6-d5a7-c26d-17"
If this is correct, they're using a 104 bit key (a la the Orinoco Silver
card -- gold
card can go to 128 bit).

> Default key = 1
>
> I'm not sure where I am going wrong here. Perhaps with this information you
> might be able to give me more advice?

Just make sure your key is correct (I didn't see it in the iwconfig output above -- it

should have been just above the Power Management line.

Hope this isn't another case of a Windoze-ized DHCP.

Ciao,

David A. Bandel
                -- Nemesis Racing Team motto