On Monday 03 December 2001 06:06 pm, you wrote:
> Vern W Heesch wrote:
> >>[snip]
>
> > Here is what I have the Access Point as:
> > ESSID  =  linksys1
> > Channel  =  1
> > Access Point Name  =  myap1
> > Fragmentation & RTS Thresholds  =  2346
> > Authentication Type  =  both Open System and Shared key
> > WEP key setting for Key 1 = 79 1B E8 47 0A 78 85 A6 D5 A7 C2 6D 17
>
> And you set this key? should be just one long string.  Some of the above
> I recognize
> as letters (79=y, 78=x, 6D=m, that's all I remember off the top of my
> head).
> So they probably aren't using a name or the like.  You can set this like:
> iwconfig eth1 key "791b-e847-0a78-85a6-d5a7-c26d-17"
> If this is correct, they're using a 104 bit key (a la the Orinoco Silver
> card -- gold
> card can go to 128 bit).

Thanks again David, with your help I almost there!
I discovered that it has to do with the key. I disabled WEP on the access
point and now it works. The access point has 3 choices for WEP, disabled,
64-bit and 128-bit (I had it set for 128-bit). I put in a passphrase, hit
done and that was the key it showed. I tried entering it as you suggested but
it didn't work. It gave an error about unsupported command or something like
that so I manually entered it in wireless.opts, didn't work though. Perhaps I
edited incorrectly. It originally had something like KEY="s:secu1" or
something like that and I replaced the s:secu1 with the key I had. I don't
really like it running without WEP though. I gotta figure this out.

Any other ideas or places I can research this key problem? Linksys was of no
help, they don't support linux.

Is it my imagination or is linux/konqueror WAY faster at displaying web pages
than windows/netscape? I am totally amazed at the speed difference.

Vern