> [snip]
> OK, couple of things:
>
> 1.  you need to edit /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts.  Read the file, but at
> the very least you'll need to be sure you have something for:
> ESSID  (that's your network name)
> KEY (the crypto key to enter the network -- shame on them if they don't
> use one)
>
> check your setup using iwconfig eth1
>
> 2.  Make sure your provider is using DHCP.  If not, you'll need to
> configure the /etc/pcmcia/network.opts file.
>
> You can do the above right now without modifying anything yet by using
> the ifconfig eth1 and route commands to set up basic networking
> (assuming you have a static IP) and using the iwconfig eth1 command to
> set up ESSID, KEY, and whatever else is required.
>
> Once you get the card running, ping your upstream (the access point) and
>   then run:
> iwspy eth1 <IP_of_AP>
> the next time you look at iwconfig you should see how good your
> connection is.
>
> Ciao,
> David A. Bandel

Thanks David. Getting a little closer. I still have something wrong . I don't
have a static ip though. My isp does use DHCP.

I have been trying to modify the Lucent Wavelan IEEE section in wireless.opts
Here is what iwconfig shows for eth1:
IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:"linksys1"  Nickname:"sttl.qwest.net"
Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412GHz  Sensitivity:1/3  Tx-Power=15 dBm
Access Point:  00:04:5A:CC:44:9E
Bit Rate=0kb/s  RTS thr:off  Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality:85/92   Signal level:-17 dBm   Noise level:-102 dBm
Rx  invalid nwid:0   invalid crypt:0   invalid misc:0

Here is what I have the Access Point as:
ESSID  =  linksys1
Channel  =  1
Access Point Name  =  myap1
Fragmentation & RTS Thresholds  =  2346
Authentication Type  =  both Open System and Shared key
WEP key setting for Key 1 = 79 1B E8 47 0A 78 85 A6 D5 A7 C2 6D 17
Default key = 1

I'm not sure where I am going wrong here. Perhaps with this information you
might be able to give me more advice?

Thanks,
 Vern