Keith:
I am running Suse 7.2 personal.  I have compiled the kernel several times,
and each time I have to recompile the alsa modules to go with the new kernel.
If you didn't change the sound setup when you installed, then you are likely
running alsa modules.  Check in /etc/modules.conf to see which you are
running.  Source code can be downloaded from  http://www.alsa-project.org/.
It was a snap to compile and no configuration is necessary, since it is
already set up in /etc/modules.conf.

I also have a AC97 on board, and I have found the alsa modules better than
the kernel modules.  If you don't want to do this reinstall every time you
update the kernel, you will have to switch to the kernel modules.

I hope this helps.

--
Marianne Taylor