Tony Alfrey wrote:
% On Wednesday 19 December 2001 06:21 pm,Keith Antoine wrote:

[...]

% > As I said  the other day add the paths to /etc/ld.so.conf and then
% > call ldconfig -v.
%
% I got this the other day and didn't know exactly what you meant.  Add
% the path to the library that rpm doesn't know about??

Yes. For example, add /path/to/lib

% The library is in /lib along with 10 gazillion libraries.

Shouldn't need it to be added to /etc/ld.so.conf, because ld.so looks
in /lib and /usr/lib by default.

% 1.  Do I add JUST /lib/<missing-lib> or the whole nine yards of /lib ??

Just the path, but, as I wrote, you don't need to do this in this
case. However, it might be interesting to execute

# /sbin/ldconfig -p | grep libFoo

where "libFoo" is the library RPM is complaining about. If you get a
hit, the problem may not be the linker.

% 2.  How the f#$k does anything know about the libraries in /lib if they
% are not included in this /ld.so.conf file?

This gets complicated, but the short, over-simplified version is that
programs know against what libraries (and library versions) they have
been linked against and expect to find those libraries at runtime, which
is one of the things that the dynamic linker, ld.so, does, using the
/etc/ld.so.cache file, which is maintained by ldconfig.

% 3.  If I add the path, then run ldconfig -v, then install the rpm, can
% I then undo what I did to /ld.so.conf ??

Sure, but the programs in the rpm may not work.

Refresh my memory, what was the problem you were trying to solve? If
memory serves, you were trying to install an RPM that uses a newer
version of RPM than that supported by the version of RPM you have
installed.

Kurt
--
"Amnesia used to be my favorite word, but then I forgot it."