[EMAIL PROTECTED] on Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 08:21:09AM -0800

Tony Alfrey wrote:
% On Thursday 20 December 2001 07:54 am,[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
% > Tony Alfrey wrote:
% <snip>
% > % (how do you know so much about this stuff??)
% >
% > I make my living knowing this stuff.
%
% But I suppose this is inherently UNIX knowledge, not Linux specific?

Yes and no. Dynamic linking is OS-neutral. I happen to know how it
happens on *NIXen pretty well.

% I do not really know what it does, I just did it because I've seen it
% recommended many times in the context of making rpms install cleanly,
% and no one ever seemed to indicate that it did any damage.

It doesn't hurt, but unless you get a "free page corrupt" message
from rpm or have upgraded a lot of RPMs, you get little or on benefit
from it.

% I will need to one day learn about these details; i.e. "indicies".

RPM uses Berkeley DB format databases, which in turn use indices
(indexes or, more colloquially, indexen ;-) ) to perform high-speed
data operations. Most databases use indices for this purpose. Unless
you're a real gear head and want to know about btrees, hash tables,
hash functions, and the link, you don't need to know the guts of how
RPM does its job. I dare say you don't want to know. I'm must
perverse and read the source code. Of course, I wrote about using
Berkeley DB, too, but that's beside the point.

% > . . . . Or, I'm smokin' dope
% > because I no longer use or have installed OpenLinux.
%
% Really????  What are you running??

A heavily modified Slackware box, RH 7.2 on a crash test dummy, and
an a post-natal LFS partition. There's a BSD box in there somewhere,
too, just for yucks.

% > Thanks for your time explaining these things!

Ayup.

Kurt
--
Mistakes are often the stepping stones to utter failure.