Zohar:

One other thing about Winmodems:

If  it is written anywhere-
one the retail box, or
in the advertisement, or
in the description, as at an auction, like Ebay,

"requires a Pentium 1xx processor"

it is surely a Winmodem, as this statement indicates that the modem uses
the motherboard processor to operate.

Of course, especially in auctions, sellers have learned to NOT include this
so as to sell to the unsuspecting buyer.

Best to buy EXTERNAL.

Jer

At 12:46 PM 1/6/02 -0500, you wrote:

>zohar wrote:
> >
> > one of my friend says the internal modem is an internal modem while other
> > says it is a Winmodem. I think it is Winmodem as it has no processor like
> > thing of itself. I want to connect Linux to internet as I want it to be
> able
> > to download it linux material in Linux partition. So I think I have to
> > brought a external modem . In all this I am confused.
> > Do any one have encountered this or have some idea about this ?
>
>As a general rule, PCI modems won't run in Linux. There are some
>exceptions for example US Robotics makes a 56k fax PCI modem that sets
>up on Linux OSs using kernel 2.4 or higher. On ISA type modems the usual
>way to tell a Win  modem from a Linux adaptable modem is the presence of
>jumpers (plugs) that allow you to hand set the comm port and irq the
>modem will use. If you got them not win modem if your modem lacks them
>it's probably Win. ISA is getting a little rare these days but SmartLink
>(Archtek) still makes a 56k BTS model that works ok and doesn't cost a
>bundle. The cheapest place to get these is on the Ebay auction.
>
>For real trouble free modems go external. With them it's simply a matter
>of plugging the thing into your computer and identifying ttyS0 (comm
>port 1) as the comm port to use. The best ones are US Robotics 56k, but
>they usually have the highest prices. Myself, I run a Smartlink external
>that I bought for $10 on the ebay auction on the one triple boot system
>I run. Peanut Linux uses the external on ttyS0 and Mandrake and SuSe use
>the Smartlink on ttyS2 without conflict.
>
>Lee

---