Please excuse me for just bargeing into this thread.

> Now, someone, somewhere may have a GUI way to edit those /etc/pcmcia/*.opt
> files.  I don't, it would just slow me down.  And the edit is a one-time
> thing.  Done once, forgotten forever.

David, you have a point there, but there are other factors at play here as
well, and not just good, healthy MS bashing ;) I'm running Red Hat 7.2 (Col
3.1 doesn't work with my video card and crashes VMware hard, not sure why)
and I am pleased as punch that I don't have to mount and umount my CDs every
time I swap them in and out.

My point is that while a GUI *can* slow one down, it doesn't have to as long
as its designed properly and there is sufficient automation in the system to
handle everyday, mundane functions. In fact, the best GUI is none.

> So please don't tell me Windoze is easier, because it just ain't true.  My
> prime example is the registry -- now there's a nightmare.

There, you are very correct, in context. Few people have technical
background much less an apptitude for things like Linux. Of course, this
brings up a point that most people gloss over; Windows was not made to be
easy to use, it was designed to be a closed source environment that promotes
the Microsoft way. Everything about Microsoft and Windows is about getting
people to buy upgrades, and with the trend of the last few years, more often.

Most people simply aren't just going to waltz over to Linux unless there is a
compelling reason to do so. Though I find excruciatingly complete distros
like Mandrake to be compelling, there's little out there to tell users that
it's there. MS has a huge marketing machine to make sure that doesn't happen
(or at least they think they do ;)

The key, ironically enough, is to give the new user a Windows-like
experience. I don't mean make Linux *look* like Windows, but just teach them
that everything they expect in Windows (which, incidentally, means GUI tools)
is in Linux.

Tyler
--
PDA HandyMan