Bram Moolenaar writes:

> The information I gathered so far is that there is no UTF-8
> locale available for X-windows.  At least not for most people on
> existing systems.

UTF-8 locales are supported in XFree86 4.0.2 (with glibc 2.2), and
also in Solaris 8. Not all toolkits built on X11 support this locale
yet, however: Xaw only if you explicitly set the "international"
resource to true, Motif dumps core, ...

> A better solution would be that the locale is set to UTF-8.  The
> X-windows functions should then automatically translate the compound
> string to UTF-8.

They do it for all functions whose name starts with "Xmb". But in the
XIM callback functions which you install you still get unconverted
text.

Bruno
-