Juliusz Chroboczek writes:
> Repeating this will not make it any more true.

He is not repeating it to make it more true. He is repeating it to
make people aware that

     A program cannot be considered properly internationalized
     until it obeys the current locale (LC_ALL || LC_CTYPE || LANG).

The reasons are:

  - LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LANG are specified by POSIX to have an effect
    on all POSIX defined text utilities. Obviously a standard cannot
    make a statement on "all programs whatsoever", but the intention
    is obvious that it should apply to all programs.

  - Newbies should have only a single variable to set in their
    $HOME/.profile, not dozens.

  - We want to make it easy for everyone to use an UTF-8 locale.
    Users shouldn't be bothered to change various $HOME/.* files,
    set .Xdefault resources etc.

The programs we are waiting for are:

  - emacs. In an UTF-8 locale, it does not set the
    keyboard-coding-system to UTF-8, thus when I type umlaut keys
    strange things happen. And it does not set the default file
    encoding to UTF-8, thus I see mojibake every time I open a
    file which looks perfectly nice through "cat" or "vi" in xterm.
    But we heard the Emacs developers are working on this lately.

  - xterm. The official XFree86 version still hasn't Tomohiro's
    nl_langinfo and iconv patch integrated.

  - All X programs which set their default font to "*-iso8859-1"
    independently of the locale. This includes nedit.

  - All programs that still use gettext-0.10.35 and haven't upgraded
    to gettext-0.10.38. This includes gcc-3.0.

  - SuSE's installation program YaST.

  - Motif. Its file selector box crashes the program in the presence
    of UTF-8 filenames in an UTF-8 locale.

  - All programs that ask the user for the encoding and store the
    answer in a $HOME/.* file. This includes pine.

Tomohiro, thank you for removing 'rxvt' from the list of buggy
programs.

Bruno
-