Hi,

At 26 Jun 2001 16:37:05 -0700,
H. Peter Anvin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The issue is, however, what that does mean?  In particular, strings in
> the filesystem are usually in the system-wide encoding scheme, not
> what that particular user happens to be processing at the time.

Ah, I understand.  We were discussing about different theme.
My point is not on the byte sequence for filenames in the filesystem.
It can or cannot be UTF-8.  I don't care much because users have
little chance to access to the raw byte sequence on the filesystem.
My point is that user-level commands must obey locale when they
communicate with users.  For example, 'ls' must display file names
in locale encoding.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/