Hi,

At 26 Jun 2001 13:49:10 -0700,
H. Peter Anvin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Incidentally, I believe there needs to be an easy way to set the
> default character set in use on a system.  This may of course be
> overridden by the user (possibly at their own peril), but it is
> nevertheless a useful concept.

This mechanism is implemented since X11R5.  XFontSet.

Why XFontSet is not very popular?  I imagine some reasons.
 - People imagine from its name that it is only for CJK people
   who need multiple fonts.
 - People were accustomed to use system without setting locale.
   XFontSet-related functions assume ASCII without locale setting.

Thus, when using XFontSet, I check locale and use XFontStruct-
related conventional non-internationalized functions when the
check fails.  This can avoid complains from people who don't
know how to set locale.  See the source code of twm I wrote
for detail.

xc/programs/twm/twm.c

>    loc = setlocale(LC_ALL, "");
>    if (!loc || !strcmp(loc, "C") || !strcmp(loc, "POSIX") ||
>        !XSupportsLocale()) {
>         use_fontset = False;
>    } else {
>         use_fontset = True;