Hi,

At Tue, 26 Jun 2001 22:11:06 +0200 (CEST),
Bruno Haible <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  - Newbies should have only a single variable to set in their
>    $HOME/.profile, not dozens.

Yes.  This is the point.  When users set "LANG" vairable, they
expect all softwares to obey the variable.

>  - We want to make it easy for everyone to use an UTF-8 locale.
>    Users shouldn't be bothered to change various $HOME/.* files,
>    set .Xdefault resources etc.

Yes.  However, not only UTF-8 but also all other encodings.

>  - All X programs which set their default font to "*-iso8859-1"
>    independently of the locale. This includes nedit.

Of course such softwares are buggy.  However, softwares
which use XDraw{Image}String() are also buggy.  (Softwares
before X11R4 should use both XDraw{Image}String() and
XDraw{Image}String16().  Modern softwares after X11R5
should use X{mb,wc,(utf8?)}Draw{Image}String().)

And more, default font of "-adobe-helvetica-*" is buggy enough.
This excludes most non-Latin fonts.  "-adobe-helvetica-*,*" is
good.  Or, adding-",*"-mechanism before XCreateFontSet() is
better, like I modified twm.

in xc/programs/twm/util.c
>        basename2 = (char *)malloc(strlen(font->name) + 3);
>        if (basename2) sprintf(basename2, "%s,*", font->name);
>        else basename2 = font->name;
>        if( (font->fontset = XCreateFontSet(dpy, basename2,
>                                            &missing_charset_list_return,
>                                            &missing_charset_count_return,
>                                            &def_string_return)) == NULL) {

Of course we can implement better font-guessing mechanism, like
I implemented for IceWM, Blackbox, and Sawfish.  (I didn't use the
mechanism for twm because I thought the mechanism is too heavy for
twm.)

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/