I hadn't heard of "Bayer" mode before.  Seems the PWC
project has support for Bayer decoding in pwc-dec23.c;

http://iphitus.loudas.com/beyond/2.6.17/2.6.17-beyond3/patches/pwc-2.6.18-backport-fixed.patch

.. and makes mention of this special case;
        /* special case: VGA @ 5 fps and snapshot is raw bayer mode */

  I take it this is the single image capture mode that
UVC doesn't support yet?

  Thanks for the heads up on that USB port .. seems my
embedded system spec does clearly state 3 x USB 1.1 ports.
;-)