> >   I'm a little less interested in looking at this patch
> > given your comments (that the highest quality is already
> > being set), but I will take a look at it.
>
> Yeah, so am I, but still it would be a nice feature to have. I am however
> more interested in how to set this Bayer mode.
>
> >   RE the 2006 cameras, according to luvcview, I don't
> > have YUYV support for high resolutions - are you sure
> > about this?  I'd love to get a higher quality high res
> > image.
>
> *snip*
>
> It is the same was what I get on an USB 1.1 port, but on a USB 2.0 port I
> can grab YUYV at [EMAIL PROTECTED], according to the output. I have yet to
> test
> it.

Ah, that might be the problem. I hadn't thought about it.

> What I need is a good quality picture with as little compression artifacts
> as possible and good colors (preferably no chroma subsampling like JPEG
> does). I hope Bayer mode helps?

For more information about Bayer mode, have a look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayer_filter. The required bandwidth will be
halved compared to YUYV mode (8 bits per pixel for Bayer mode instead of 16
bits per pixel for YUYV mode). Bayer sensors perform color subsampling in the
RGB space. The webcam interpolates the Bayer data to create a YUYV stream,
and then optionally compress it to MJPEG. You won't loose any color
information by using Bayer mode, but the image will still suffer from color
subsampling artifacts.

Cheers,

Laurent Pinchart