2008/12/31 Kenneth Gonsalves <law...@au-kbc.org>:
> Agree - they have a license section which forms part of the code they
> distribute. This has the GPL quoted verbatim, giving all the rights GPL gives
> with only one modification relating to openssl - THERE IS NO OTHER
> MODIFICATION. There is also a file named OPENSOURCE-NOTICE.TXT. Here they
> have tacked on some conditions - but these conditions do not form part of the
> license - if they did, then it is doubtful whether either FSF or OSF would
> recognise their license. So the con game is also there in the code itself.

"Trolltech's commercial license terms do not allow you to start
developing proprietary software using the Open Source edition."

"If you, your company or your organization derive commercial benefit
from Trolltech's products _________and do not wish to release your
complete source code___________, you are required to purchase the
appropriate number of commercial licenses.

"Alternatively, if you are willing to follow the terms of the GPL
(General Public License), Trolltech software is available to you under
Open Source licenses which allows you _________to develop, modify and
distribute______________ your software freely."

"The main obligation for software development under the GPL is that
anyone using your Qt-based software must have access to the complete
source code, and must be able to modify and redistribute that software
to anyone free of charge."

I think that was pretty clear. Even though the word commercial is
misleading, you can't miss the explanation - what they mean by
commercial. It clearly states what you can do with the GPL version.

--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
(as seen on /.)