The whole world isn't embedded ppc, we use this stuff elsewhere too.

You guys need to figure out something that doesn't require phylib be built-in on ALL platforms, but only the platforms that require it.
I wasn't suggesting we build it always, just not let it be built as a module.

I was saying, you are requiring everyone to bloat their kernel with phylib, if they enable phylib, because of your particular platform details.

That is not a path we want to follow -- limiting everyone else because of one case is not acceptable.

Are you saying that all the driver subsystems that require being built into the kernel should be changed to not require this? (I2C, SPI, DMA engine, etc.)

- k