True, mainly running on a switch/router acting as boundary clock with many
ports and VLAN domains.
There is a patch missing to handle link up/down event on the VLAN netdev and
support for IPv6 that we will share.
Will be happy to get feedback about the current patch-set.

> > We thought about using Linux namespaces also, but PTP4L does not
> support them.
> > Our solution was much easier to implement.
>
> I see, maybe the biggest problem with namespaces for ptp4l is its main poll
> loop(), which could only wait for events on a single namespace.
>
> Would it be too complicated to run a separate ptp4l per-interface?
> Each instance of ptp4l would run in its own network namespace (such as via
> "ip netns").

We were looking for a solution not to handcraft the Eth/VLAN/IP headers and as
part of that we were thinking that we can have a sub netdev in different
namespace with the same IP address as the VLAN but this again broke as we
didn't have a solution for the ARPs

Regardless, we are also working to modify the event loop to work with
namespaces (and / or lite VRF) to allow the boundary clock run in different L4
domains (and not only VLAN).
What do you think about replacing the event loop with epoll?