On Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 07:08:22AM +0000, Amit Nishry wrote:
> True, mainly running on a switch/router acting as boundary clock with many
> ports and VLAN domains.
> There is a patch missing to handle link up/down event on the VLAN netdev and
> support for IPv6 that we will share.

No!

> Will be happy to get feedback about the current patch-set.

It is awful.  Really.  We don't want to write a user space IP stack.
And even if we did, we would do it with proper layering and
modularity.

I appreciate that you have a use case that needs a solution.  Because
of our 2.0 release, I don't have time for this right now, but my
feeling is that the proper solution will be in the kernel to allow udp
in such a bridge setup.  I also have this problem when attempting udp
over a DSA/switchdev setup.

> We were looking for a solution not to handcraft the Eth/VLAN/IP
> headers

+1

> and as part of that we were thinking that we can have a sub
> netdev in different namespace with the same IP address as the VLAN
> but this again broke as we didn't have a solution for the ARPs

Look into the kernel and find out a) why udp doesn't work in your
setup and b) how to fix it.  We have a valid use case, and the kernel
should help us.

> Regardless, we are also working to modify the event loop to work
> with namespaces (and / or lite VRF) to allow the boundary clock run
> in different L4 domains (and not only VLAN).  What do you think
> about replacing the event loop with epoll?

Possible.

Thanks,
Richard