On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 12:42:52PM +1000, mgrosve...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
> I’ve been thinking about how include Linux PTP in a larger project that I’m
> working on.
>
> To do so I could write a bunch of regex parsing magic to parse up the Linux
> PTP output (and hope that I get it right for all the cases that matter). But
> it got me thinking that probably maybe there’s broader problem to be solved
> here.

What is the broader problem that you are trying to solve?

> I’ve been wondering about adding a structured machine readable output option
> to Linux PTP? Probably JSON formatted because of the ubiquitous nature of the
> format(sigh).
>
> Is anyone working on this already? If not any major objections if I do?

I'm no friend of json.

The logging is meant for human eyes only.

The "machine readable" output is the management interface.  It
provides a super-set of the logging information, but in binary format.
I recommend using that instead of log scraping.

Thanks,
Richard