[resending from correct email]

> The output of the pmc tool is still unstructured text. So to feed it into a
> script I would still need to write an output parser of some sort and I would
> have to guess that my parser covers all of the cases that the tool might
> generate and I would have to assume that the output format doesn’t change.
> This is what got me thinking about structuring the output format somehow in a
> way that any tool could consume it.

Perhaps in that case a structured text option to pmc(8) would be useful and not
too hard to add?

Having said that I’d love to pmc factored out into a library, that would be
very useful for my application. :)

> I have no intention of breaking that. It’s useful to be able to read the logs
> as a human. But if you have more than a few instances (think 100+ instances
> running in a datacenter) then human reading all the logs is not a sustainable
> solution. In that case, it’s much better if all the logs can be fed into a
> central place and processed looking for anomalies and/or errors.

You can access the management interface remotely I believe, although I don’t
know anything about the authorisation model.

Also a bit of googling of SNMP and PTP also turned up these:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/260229575_SNMP_to_PTP_management_interface

<https://www.researchgate.net/publication/260229575_SNMP_to_PTP_management_interface>
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8173 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8173>

Cheers,