On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 12:34:00PM +1000, Matthew P. Grosvenor wrote:
> This is exactly what I’m trying to avoid: committing the cardinal
> sin of open source. If the project doesn’t do exactly what you need,
> just write yet-another similar but different implementation written
> in yet-another language, rather than maintain and extend the
> existing one.

I don't see any difficulty here.  After all, the management interface
is an API that is more or less set in stone.  There is no danger of
multiple forks here.

One of my personal principles for this project is to avoid gratuitous
library dependencies.  The code only depends on Linux kernel v3+ and
GNU libc, and that is a GOOD thing.  Long experience in systems level
programming and embedded systems taught me through how costly dragging
in libraries can be.  You will notice that, rather than using
libconfig, for example, I opted to write my own simple configuration
parser.

I don't reject library dependencies categorically, but there has got
to be a very strong justification before I will let additional
dependencies in.  I don't feel that having json output, for example,
is a compelling reason.

The scope of this project is to provide a user space Precision Time
Protocol stack.  The pmc program is only meant as an example and as a
way to test the management interface.  A fully featured client is out
of scope.  A proper design would require lots of extra dependencies,
like database, gui, scripting, reporting, alarms, network management,
and so on.

I would be supportive of an open source project to develop a fully
featured PTP management client.  Heck, I might even contribute now and
again, but I myself cannot take the lead on such an endeavor.  Because
of the strong binary API, there is no downside to having such a client
as a separate project.

Thanks,
Richard