(Deep breath)....

Greetings all.  I'm with Alexander Ogilvy and am working on the ICANN account.

The perspectives below nicely sum up the realities of our engagement.  And, yes it's
true, most non-profits, NGOs and even govt. agencies employ communications firms to
assist them.

I'm weighing in here not to defend my firm, ICANN or my fellow communications
professionals.  Instead, I'm interested in constructive suggestions on how we can best
communicate to the various audiences interested in ICANN.

I know that some will say that no amount of PR could help ICANN if deliberative
meetings aren't completely open.

Fine, but lets take it a few notches down for now.  My questions:

**Are there other orgs that you think do a great job communicating to interested
parties that we should investigate and borrow ideas from?

**What media sources do you trust as credible providers of info on ICANN and Internet
policy?

**I understand the one-to-one value of listservs, but given limited time and manpower,
how do you suggest we maximize mailing lists?  I don't want to get drawn into endless
debates that spiral down into name-calling, but I also don't want to dismiss an
opportunity to use an effective tool to communicate to some of the smartest people in
this realm.

**What would you like to see on ICANN's Web site?

Again, thank you very much for any constructive advice offered.

Also please feel free to contact me or my colleagues at this address now and in the
future. We set up this account merely in an attempt to manage our already overloaded
inboxes.

However, if you feel your not getting a proper response, please contact me at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Best Regards,
Sean Garrett

---Dave Farber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote:---
>Gordon,
>
>There is another view on the engagement of Ogilvy by ICANN. It is very common for not
>for profits to be helped by PR firms for  payment that covers basically out of pocket
>expenses.  I would assume that is the case with ICANN. PR firms offer a lot of
>services NOT JUST spin doctoring things. They often are very good at making sure the
>public knows what is going on via press releases and briefings. Often NFP do not have
>the staff with the time and energy to make sure that happens.
>
>I for one will give both Ogilbvy and ICANN the benefit of the doubt and believe that
>they are in fact doing this to improve the communications to the community and not to
>hide anything.
>
>I further assume that the ICANN Board and President will firmly insure that there is
>no spin control on what comes out and that they tell the whole truth and nothing but
>the truth.
>
>Esther, do you agree.
>
>Dave

__